These are great for large groups, if you have to bring a dish, or you need to make a meal ahead of time! You can play with the amount of salt, pepper, and garnishes! Serious YUM!
12 red potatoes
4 T butter
1/3 Cup Sour cream
1 small onion diced
1 Cup milk, more possibly
6 strips bacon, green onions, shredded cheddar cheese garnish
Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse potatoes, and cut in half or fourths( I say quarters, but that seems to stump those under 20??) The smaller the potato the faster it cooks!!
- Boil approximately 6 cups of water, salt generously so it tastes like the sea.
- Add potatoes and boil until tender, approximately 15-20 minutes once the water is boiling
- Meanwhile, dice the cold bacon and saute in a saute pan until crispy, drain oil and rest on paper towel
- When potatoes are tender, drain water or pour into a strainer. Once drained put potatoes back into stock pot.
- Mash with potato masher
- Add butter, stir until melted
- Add milk, sour cream, diced onion, salt, pepper, half of bacon.
- Serve, garnish with bacon, cheese, and green onions
Make ahead option: If serving later or next day. Finish step 8, then, grease 9×13 pan, fill with mashed potatoes, top with cheese, bacon, green onions. Reheat in oven, 30-40 minutes, uncovered until center of casseroles reads 165 for food safety!