Chicken (or Shrimp) Stir Fry
This recipe goes quickly once you start the actual cooking, so it is important to have your “prep” in order. In class, we measure and chop all ingredients, and assemble them before we start cooking. This is called Mise en’ Place..translation…everything in it’s place!
This is also a great meal to use all of your leftovers. Combine that one piece of beef from yesterday’s meal, with the chicken or shrimp you bought for today. Add the leftovers at the end of the stir fry, as they have already been cooked fully.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
2 tbsp oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp fresh ginger (or ¼ tsp dried ginger)
2 tbsp onion, minced
2 cups of vegetables, cut to equal size to ensure even cooking- the smaller you cut them, the faster they cook!
i.e. carrots, zucchini, snow peas, broccoli, red/green peppers, bok choy, mung beans, etc.
2 pieces chicken (or shrimp) , diced
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Sugar
1 T Cornstarch
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 ½ tsp soy sauce
4 Cups Water. salt to taste, not as salty as the sea, just a little less than that
1/2 onion- just cut in half
2 Cups dry rice- you can use brown rice with this!
1 T rice wine vinegar
Stir Fry Directions:
- Chop vegetables and chicken set aside separately (use separate cutting boards, clean knife in between vegetables and chicken)
- Mix Sauce in a separate bowl, with whisk or fork
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan for 1 minute on medium-high, until it “sizzles”.
- Add seasonings, stir continuously to avoid burning and to release the flavor of the seasonings into the oil.
- Add veggies according to amount of time each needs to cook (denser veggies like carrots first, tender veggies like mung beans last).
- Once all vegetables are fully cooked, remove from pan and put on a plate, set aside.
- Add diced chicken to the sauté pan and cook quickly to seal in the juices.
- Once chicken is fully cooked, add sauce mixture to center of pan (with chicken still in it); cook till thick and bubbly.
- Return veggies to pan and gently toss all ingredients to coat with sauce.
- Serve over rice.