As summer closes, everyone I know is making zucchini bread and popping it into their freezer. This is great for your lunch, your child’s school lunchbox, when guests come over, or as a sweet little thank you to a friend. In this version, I used vanilla yogurt instead of oil. I also added some lemon juice and zest to pop the fresh flavor of the blueberries. The lemon juice and yogurt help with the rise in this bread (yeah science!), making this healthy version just as delicious and fluffy as the regular recipe. Make sure you don’t use light yogurt or greek yogurt, we need the liquid from a regular yogurt and the normal fat content from the yogurt. You will love this and I hope you enjoy!
Prep time: 20 min
Bake Time: 40 min
Servings: 2 loaves – you can also make 12 muffins
1.5 Cups All Purpose Flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 Teaspoon salt
3/4 Cup blueberries (fresh or frozen, if using frozen- thaw and drain excess juice off, add 1 Tablespoon Flour)
1/2 Cup Vanilla Yogurt (don’t use fat free!)
1/2 Cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1.5 Cups shredded zuchini
1 Tablespoon Lemon juice (fresh or Ms. Nellie’s brand found in juice isle)
2 Teaspoons lemon rind
Lemon Crumble Topping:
1/4 stick butter- soft at room temp
2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
1/4 Cup Oats
1/4 Cup Sugar
Preheat Oven to 350- Convection oven is best, as it circulates the hot air in the oven. If not using convection, place rack in middle of oven. No mixer necessary, mix by hand!
Spray loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Shred 1 Large Zucchini
- Place flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl and whisk together. Stir in blueberries, coating them with the flour mixture (remember, if you use frozen berries- add 1 Tablespoons of flour.)
- In another bowl whisk eggs, yogurt, sugar, lemon juice, lemon rind, and vanilla. When mixed, stir in zucchini. Don’t overmix
- In a separate bowl, mix all crumble ingredients with a fork
- Add wet mixture to flour mixture, mix only until fully combined, don’t overmix
- Pour into prepared pans, bake in center of oven 40-50 minutes. Bake until toothpick comes out clean.
- Top with the lemon crumble mix
***cool completely, wrap with plastic wrap and place in freezer bag. Freeze for 2-3 months. When thawing, thaw inside bag and wrap to keep moist.