Eggplant is one of my favorite flavors as an adult, but certainly not as a child! This recipe is so easy to make, and I prefer to not pan fry it, or heavily bread it. I also cut the breadcrumbs with Pecorino Romano cheese, or any sort of Parmesan cheese you have on hand. This adds a blast of flavor and of course, cuts your carbs!
By adding olive oil to the breadcrumbs, you ensure that your breadcrumbs brown nice and even!
I also leave the skin on, to keep the nutrients and fiber there as much as possible. I hope once you make this dish, you’ll add it to your tool box, these would be a great appetizer with a bowl of sauce on the side!
Prep Time: 30 minutes salt bath, 15 minutes prep
Bake Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 12 slices
1/2 Cup Italian or seasoned breadcrumbs
1/2 Cup Pecorin Romano
2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- Rinse eggplant and slice into 3/4 inch slices.
- Prep slices by covering in salt, place between two paper towels to let water absorb into towels and leave the eggplant. Leave, draining, for 30 min- 2 hours.
- Rinse salt off eggplant and strain.
- Lightly scramble eggs in a bowl
- Mix breadcrumbs, grated cheese, and olive oil in another bowl. Spray baking sheet lightly
- Dip eggplant slices in egg, then breadcrumbs, then place in baking sheet. Repeat with all eggplant
- Bake at 385 for 30-40 minutes until browned on top