These bowls have been popular with food trucks forever, started in the 80’s actually. Now store fronts are finding huge success with the acaí berry superfood, and adding so many beautiful fresh fruits, nuts, yogurts, and drizzles. My daughters used to drive 40 minutes to a tiny foodtruck in Charlotte NC, a long time ago to spend $12 on a bowl of fruit. I never really got it, I just thought they were young and needed something to do. I finally took the plunge when I was in San Diego this summer, and found a local shop near my hotel. The owner was so good at putting together a unique bowl for everyone, that people would be there every morning, all week, to get their morning fuel! If you’re ever in San Diego, go check them out, near the San Diego Bayfront Hilton https://www.sweetthingsyogurt.com/
You might look at these delicious fruit bowls as a high sugar treat, but the acaí berry is low in sugar, high in fat, and full of antioxidents. If you’re trying to eat a healthy nutrient dense snack, this is it!
Added bonus, you are going to be so excited to know that you can make the these bowls for youself, at 1/3 of the price! Look for the Acaí packs in the freezer section, you’ll need some frozen berries there too. Check out you’re freezer section for locally grown and frozen fruits. Pretty great to support your state’s farmers!
The more color you pack into your bowl, the more nurtion you’ll have for the day…eat a rainbow to keep your immune system strong. Remeber to watch your grocery cart, it can be expensive to eat nutritiously, but by packing frozen fruit into your bowl blend, and thoughtfully picking your toppings with local in-season fruits, you can stay on budget here!
Also, it looks like you just throw it together, no problem, but there is a little trick to creating the same consistency they do in the shops. Blending frozen berries and adding in some chia seeds with the frozen acaí packet creates that thick yummy base! If you are dairy free, you can skip the yogurt and use add almond milk, oat milk, or water to blend.
These are the products that I love for this recipe:
This Nutribullet is a part of my daily routine.
My Spatulas are my favorite things, I hate to leave anything behind in the bowl, this is the first thing I teach my students! Use the rubber spatula!
I usually go for a red, but these are fun and I like the varying shapes and sizes. A spatula with a little scoop to it is called a Spoonula…I love those!
Pyrex Glass Storage Bowls seem to be a splurge when you’re just starting out, but they are a smart investment. They are from the OG Corning Corelle line and will last forever, the lids keep their shape in the dishwasher, and they create a very organized look in your kitchen
- 1 rubber spatula
- 1 nutrabullet any smoothie maker will work
- 1 small bowl
- 1 packet Acaí frozen LEAVE FROZEN
- 1/4 Cup frozen blueberries any fruit- up to half cup
- 4 oz yogurt you're favorite kind, I use a zero sugar brand
- 5 each blackberries
- 2 each strawberries
- 1 Tablespoon almonds
- 1 teaspoon honey for a drizzle on top
- 1 block dark chocolate or cocao
- 1 Tablespoon Chia seed, hemp seed
- Wash fruit, slice what you need, and set aside to dry.5 each blackberries, 2 each strawberries
- First add frozen fruit, yogurt, frozen acaí to nutribullet and blend. Add a Tablespoon of water to free it up if its too thick1 packet Acaí frozen, 1/4 Cup frozen blueberries, 4 oz yogurt
- Layer acaí into bowl, then layer with fruit, nuts, chocolate, drizzle with honey…Enjoy!1 Tablespoon almonds, 1 block dark chocolate or cocao, 1 teaspoon honey